Less than a year ago, Greg Lobanov impressed us with the musical platforming adventure game Wandersong. Now, he and several other developers, including some who worked on Celeste and Night in the Woods, are seeking funding to create a new adventure. The game, known as Chicory: A Colorful Tale, features a dog using color to explore, solve puzzles, and make friends.
Chicory: A Colorful Tale is currently seeking funding on Kickstarter and has already made its goal within 24 hours. Read on to learn more about Chicory and what you can get for pledging to the game’s development.
About Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Chicory (which was originally tentatively titled DrawDog) tells the tale of a dog (named Pizza by default, but has a customizable name and gender) who works as the custodian to the titular wielder of The Brush, a legendary artifact that can color the world. She’s immensely talented and beloved by all, but one day she goes missing, along with all of the world’s color. As her number one fan, Pizza takes up The Brush and has to fill in for her idol. However, there’s also a dark forest growing at the edge of Picnic Province, and Pizza will have to confront what lies within.
In Chicory, players will explore Picnic Province while using The Brush’s coloring abilities to solve puzzles and helping people. As you explore the world, you’ll gain new painting abilities, such as glow-in-the-dark paint, that’ll let you reach new areas. There’s also a collection system where you can earn a variety of items. Among the things you can get are clothing options for Pizza, brush styles such as textures and stamps, and furniture you can use to decorate your home (or anywhere in the world, if you feel like putting a sofa in the middle of town).
Many fans of Lobanov’s work have already funded the project. It managed to reach its Kickstarter goal in 24 hours. A lot has been done with Chicory‘s development, but they’re hoping to do a lot more with the rest of the game. Some of their ideas include more consoles and collaborations with other artists.
If you’d like to get the full game, you can pledge some money to Chicory‘s Kickstarter. Here’s what you can get at each level.
- Artist – $20 or more
- A digital copy of the game (Steam key or DRM-free) and your name in the credits.
- Sketch Artist – $25 or more
- Everything above plus a digital artbook featuring sketches, concept art, and other drawings.
- Composer – $35 or more
- Everything above plus the official soundtrack (composed by Lena Raine, of Celeste and Guild Wars 2 fame) and a 10-track preview soundtrack when the campaign ends.
- Bedazzler – $45 or more
- Everything above plus a backer-exclusive pin made by The Yetee.
- Printer – $70 or more
- Everything above plus a T-shirt designed by game artist Madaline Berger and a sticker pack.
- Beta Reader – $100 or more
- Everything above plus an early copy of the game.
- Grafitti Artist – $200 or more
- Everything above plus some art you draw will appear in the game.
- Portrait Painter – $300 or more
- Everything from Beta Reader plus game artist Alexis will draw you, a friend, a pet, or your original character as an animal in the style of the game.
- Fashion Designer – $400 or more
- Everything from Beta Reader plus you get to help design a clothing collectible in the game.
- Fan Artist – $600 or more
- Everything from Beta Reader plus you get to help design a character with dialogue in the game.
- Virtuoso – $1000 or more (ALL GONE)
- Everything from Beta Reader plus each unique reward from Grafitti Artist, Portrait Painter, Fashion Designer, and Fan Artist.
Chicory: A Colorful Tale already looks to be a very charming game, just like Wandersong. There’s also plenty of talent behind it, so we’re looking forward to something great! If you’re hoping to support Lobanov’s newest game, take a look at the Kickstarter campaign here. You can also follow the game on its Steam page here.