Publisher THQ Nordic and developer THQ Nordic Barcelona have released a new remake for the original Gothic.
The new remake, tentatively titled Gothic Playable Teaser, is a free playable prototype (via Steam) of what a remake for Gothic could look and play like. If you own a game developed by German developer Piranha Bytes, you’ll get the prototype in your Steam library. Featured above, you can view a trailer of the remake prototype.
The prototype allows players to enjoy roughly two hours of gameplay, where you can roam the mining colony of Khorinis. After you complete the prototype, you can take a survey to help THQ Nordic determine if they should proceed with a full remake of Gothic, or if they should leave the game as is.
Here’s a comparison video of the original Gothic, and the new remake:
Here’s a rundown on the prototype:
This is not a full game. Its a playable teaser version to a potential approach for a new Gothic game. Nothing is set in stone.
So your feedback is essential to turn Gothic into a modern game. Therefore, and to reward your loyalty, Gothic Playable Teaser is totally free for all fans who already have any of the titles in the Gothic saga or developed by Piranha Bytes!
The Kingdom of Myrtana has been invaded by an implacable horde of orcs.
King Rhobar II, in need of a large quantity of magical ore in order to forge powerful weapons, operates the Khorinis mines with all available prisoners. To prevent them from escaping, the monarch asks his best magicians to create a magical barrier. But something goes wrong. The magic gets out of control and a mutiny turns the mines into a wild territory now controlled by the most violent prisoners.
The King is forced to negotiate with the new owners, while the tension between the different factions of the mines increases. What no one expects is that the arrival of an unknown prisoner will change absolutely everything.
- Return to The Colony, a reimagination of the popular and revolutionary game Gothic from 2001. Rediscover the world of the mining colony, its secrets and challenges in this playable version of two hours.
- Play as the Nameless Hero – Manage the fate of a lifetime convicted prisoner who must survive in a world of wild animals, creatures and convicts of dangerous reputation.
- Experience a two hours-long introduction to The Colony – A mysterious red scroll and a set of strange characters will immerse you in a complex story of loyalties and betrayals.
- Fight humans and others creatures like Scavengers and Wolfs – Learn the combat arts through a tactical and demanding combat system.
- Discover the possibilities of crafting – Experiment with ingredients and recipes to discover powerful soothing and healing foods.