This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Beat Hazard 2, the sequel to Cold Beam Games’ hit music-powered twin-stick shooter that just left Early Access.
Like its predecessor, Beat Hazard 2 is a procedurally generated twin-stick shooter powered by your music library. The game supports mp3, wma, flac, ogg, aac, m4a, wav, and aiff. In addition to local files, you can also play music streamed from Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, and YouTube. You can check out the launch trailer above.
Beat Hazard 2 is available on Windows PC via Steam for $18.99, and its currently 20% off.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Experience your music collection as never before with this intense music driven arcade shooter.
Each of your songs will have its own unique ebb and flow based on the music. Beat Hazard 2 seamlessly mixes the love of gaming and music. Together they become greater than the sum of their parts.
Beat Hazard 2 improves on and ramps up the awesome zen feeling of battling to your own music. Power up your spaceship and watch as the music boosts your firepower. Unleash hell on the enemy ships when you max out with weapon pickups!
Premium music streaming services will be supported via an ‘Open Mic’ system that can listen in to any music source. Now the music world is your oyster, play to Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, YouTube, or any other provider!
Pushing the boundaries of music powered gameplay, the sequel includes procedurally generated boss ships. Each track will create a unique archenemy ship for you to vanquish.
Each track you play will also creates a unique player ship, anything from a tiny ‘Mosquito’ ship to a huge ‘Brute’ battle ship! Created ships are consistent, if you discover an awesome ship tell your friends so they can unlock it too!
- Awesome arcade action powered by YOUR music! It’s time to explore and relive the joy of listening to your music collection, each song will have its own unique ebb and flow based on the music.
- Upgraded blistering visuals that pump and blast to the beat of the music.
- Boss ships procedurally created by your music! Taking music powered gameplay to the next level.
- Compatible with any premium music service via ‘Open Mic’ mode allowing you to play to any music source, e.g. Spotify, Amazon Music
- Fully integrated internet radio station system via SHOUTcast
- Per song leaderboards and asynchronous challenge system. Battle against your friends to own your favourite music tracks.
- Brand new original sound track composed by Johnny Frizz. Johnny contributed tracks to the original Beat Hazard, this time around he’s produced some stunning tracks.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!